Saturday 4 June 2022

Why I paint rocks and pebbles

If you haven't heard of kindness rocks check out this site, I'm not the only person who enjoys painting rocks, it's a worldwide phenomenum. 


It was a few months into the pandemic in 2020, and I was starting to go stir crazy in lockdown. Thankfully I had my crafting, mostly making cards, sketching and a few other creative projects to keep me sane.

Like most of us, I found being stuck indoors most of the time was really hard and the limited contact with the outside world even harder.

Painting rocks or pebbles wasn't just another creative 'fad'. It was a distraction and a way to keep my mind focused. Just like many other crafting hobbies anything that requires our focus in a gentle, mindful way has significant benefits.

Each pebble/rock also gave me a purpose, a reason to make the most of daily exercise and to explore whilst out and about locally.

Hiding rocks and pebbles also meant connecting with people. Each one was carefully placed and photographed and then checked regularly to see when it had been found. This routine almost became addictive. The thought of someone finding these little gifts just made it more fun to to keep painting and hiding.

Since then I've created many themed designs for special occasions and all sorts. Including party games, for example a Halloween Pebble hunt and what has become a permanent 'Kindness rock garden'. They also make cute gifts and mementos.

I regularly hide pebbles/rocks local to my home and whilst I'm out and about walking or on my travels so if you stumble across one, please take it and enjoy or share with another. I'd love to know you found it so tag @jadedcrafter on Instagram or leave a comment on this post.


No comments:

Post a Comment